Warm drinks really make the winter season and what better way to relax on a cold evening than with this luxurious matcha white hot chocolate?! With just 4 ingredients and a few simple steps, you too can enjoy this decadent treat this season!
As winter approaches, so does the desire to curl up on the sofa with a hot drink, and nothing quite spells comfort more than a steaming mug of hot chocolate.
The thing I love the most about hot chocolate is how versatile it is! Dark, milk or white hot chocolate paired with delicious flavours like hazelnut, orange or mint... I really believe there is a hot chocolate for everyone.
Now, how about this? Hot chocolate with a Japanese twist. Of course I'm talking about hot chocolate with matcha!
Matcha and White Chocolate
If there are two ingredients that go together perfectly, it's Japanese matcha green tea powder and white chocolate.
While dark chocolate and milk chocolate have a strong chocolatey flavour and often mask the flavour of matcha, white chocolate allows the matcha taste to shine while balancing out the sweetness of the chocolate with a subtle bitterness, it really is a match made in heaven.
If you don't believe me, I have proof! Just check out some of my matcha and white chocolate recipes below!
How to make Matcha White Hot Chocolate
You don't need any special tools or ingredients for this recipe! Let's go over what you'll need to make matcha white hot chocolate!
This recipe only requires 4 simple ingredients:
- Matcha powder (good quality, vibrant matcha powder is best!)
- White chocolate (good quality, cut into rough chunks)
- Milk of your choice (I personally use whole milk)
- Vanilla essence (always compliments white chocolate in my opinion!)
You don't need any extra sugar because the white chocolate is sweet enough!
A small whisk and a saucepan are all you need to make matcha white hot chocolate. The reason I prefer making it over the stove (rather than the microwave) is because it's easy to burn white chocolate.
A medium-low heat over the stove is pretty much fail free!
There are only two steps for making this delicious matcha white hot chocolate.
The first step is making the matcha into a paste. I mix a few tablespoons of hot water with 1-2 tsp of matcha powder and whisk it until a smooth paste is formed. This helps avoid lumps of matcha in your drink.
The next step is to add it to a sauce pan with the milk, the white chocolate and the vanilla essence and heat it until the chocolate is melted and the milk is warmed through but not scolding. I like my drinks quite hot, so I usually aim for around 65°C or 150°F.
Although this recipe is super simple, there are still things that can go wrong. Here are a few tips to make sure you get it right first time.
As I mentioned earlier, I make a paste with the matcha at the beginning. This is because adding matcha powder to large amounts of liquid usually results in clumps of matcha.
If you feel that your hot chocolate is not "matcha-y enough" then you will need to take a small amount of the hot water, make a paste once more and then mix it with the rest of your drink.
Temperature of the milk
The most important thing I can say is not to let the milk boil. When milk gets to hot, it becomes scorched and develops an unpleasant flavour.
I control the temperature of the milk by heating on a medium-low setting on the stove and don't let it heat over 70°C / 160°F.
You can use a milk thermometer if you have one, but generally you can tell when to stop because small bubbles start to appear around the edges of the pan, that means it's going to boil soon and you should remove it from the heat.
If you're making multiple portions then you can simply increase the recipe and use a larger pan.
You can keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and then pour it back into a pan to reheat. I recommend using it up as soon as possible (within 1-2 days).
Why not make your matcha white hot chocolate even more luxurious by topping it with whipped cream and an extra sprinkling of matcha powder? Delicious!
Matcha White Hot Chocolate
- 1-2 tsp matcha powder - strength depends on preference
- 30 ml water - boiled and cooled to 80C/175F
- 270 ml milk of your choice
- 30 g white chocolate - broken into small chunks
- ⅛ tsp vanilla essence
- whipped cream - optional
- matcha powder - for sprinkling - optional
- Take a small bowl and add 1-2 tsp matcha powder and 30 ml water . Whisk until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Pour 270 ml milk of your choice into a saucepan and add the matcha paste. Heat on low while stirring.
- Once the milk and matcha are incorporated, add 30 g white chocolate and ⅛ tsp vanilla essence.
- Continue to heat on low/medium-low, mixing continuously.
- Once it reaches approximately 60 °C (or small bubbles appear around the edge) remove it from the heat and pour it into a mug.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of matcha powder.