How to make refreshing and delicious Zaru Udon (ざるうどん) with a homemade mentsuyu dipping sauce.
- Take a small pan and add 100ml of awase dashi, 20ml of soy sauce and 20ml of mirin.
- Turn the heat on medium and bring to the boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute to burn the alcohol off the mirin.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar to the pan and mix until it's dissolved into the liquid.
- Take the pan off the heat, pour the dipping sauce into a heatproof jug and add 1 dried shiitake mushroom.
- Place the jug in a bowl of ice to cool it quickly. The mentsuyu is complete.
- Cook your udon noodles according the the instructions on the packaging.
- Once it's cooked, pour the udon into a strainer to drain the water away. Rinse the noodles under cold running water. Add a few ice cubes to the udon to make it extra cold.
- Take 1/4 a sheet of nori and cut it into thin strips.
- Take two small plates and to each one, add 1/2 tsp wasabi, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1 tbsp tenkasu and 1 tbsp chopped spring onion.
- Place each serving of udon on a "zaru" and sprinkle with nori. (You can use a bamboo sushi mat on a plate if you don't have a zaru.)
- Pour your dipping sauce into 2 cups.
- Each serving should have a portion of udon, a cup of cold mentsuyu dipping sauce and a small plate of ingredients to flavour the sauce.
- Enjoy on its own or with light and crispy tempura!
You can use this recipe to make zaru soba, just replace the udon noodles with soba noodles.
If you're doubling or tripling the recipe, the mentsuyu will take longer to cool.
You can keep left over mentsuyu in the fridge for about 1 month so I recommend making extra if you plan to make zaru udon or zaru soba often during the summer!
If you want to make it vegan, you can use my vegan awase dashi recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cooling Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Noodles
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Zaru udon, how to make zaru udon, Zaru udon recipe, mentsuyu, what is mentsuyu, how to make mentsuyu, mentsuyu recipe, how to eat zaru udon, zaru, what is zaru, tray udon, cold udon, cold udon recipe, tenzaru udon, udon noodles, cold udon noodles, udon dipping sauce, chilled zaru udon