Tasty chicken wings coated in a thin layer of corn starch and then fried at two different temperatures for the ultimate crispy skin, then brushed with a delicious homemade sauce and sprinkled with a mixture of fine white pepper. These Yamachan Tebaski Nagoya Style Chicken Wings (名古屋手羽先) are totally addictive!
- 8 Chicken Wings
- 1 Pinch Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tbsp Weak flour
- Oil for shallow frying (high smoke point like canola or vegetable oil)
- Fine white pepper for sprinkling
- Add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tbsp sake, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds and crush 1 clove of garlic into a small cold pan.
- Mix everything and place the saucepan on the stove.
- With a medium heat, bring the sauce to the boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer until reduced to half.
- When it's reduced and thickened, remove it from the heat and set aside for later.
- Sprinkle the wings with salt and pepper and rub it over the surface.
- Coat the wings with a mixture of corn starch and weak flour (1 tbsp of each).
- It's time to shallow fry. In a frying pan, add oil so its about 2cm (1 inch) high. Heat your oil to 160°C (320°F), preferably use a thermometer to check the heat accurately. We maintain the temperature on a medium-low setting but all stoves vary so checking with a thermometer is the safest way to be sure.
- Once heated, add the chicken wings and fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Increase the heat to 190°C (375°F) and fry for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the chicken wings from the oil and place on a wire rack to allow any excess oil to drip off.
- Take the sauce from earlier and using a pastry brush, apply the sauce generously over both sides of the chicken wings.
- Sprinkle fine white pepper generously over both sides of the chicken wings.
- Serve up and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Shallow Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese chicken wings recipe, Nagoya Chicken Wings recipe, yamachan recreation recipe, yamachan chicken wings, frying chicken wings,how to make nagoya style chicken wings, nagoya chicken wings, pepper chicken wings,tebasaki, nagoya tebasaki, how to make tebasaki fried chicken, fried wings recipe