How to make quick and easy wakame salad (Japanese seaweed salad) with cucumber, tofu and mini tomatoes in a refreshing vinegar based dressing.
- 5g dried wakame (approx 1 tbsp)
- 150g silken tofu
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber (approx 50g) thinly sliced
- 5 mini tomatoes halved
- 1 tbsp katsuobushi (bonito flakes) optional garnish
Wakame Salad Dressing
- 1 tbsp dashi (or water)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp ground sesame seeds
- Soak the dried wakame in a bowl of warm water according to the instructions on the packaging. (This usually takes 5-10 mins).
- Wrap the tofu in kitchen paper and microwave it for 1 minute 30 seconds at 600W. Allow it to cool slightly before cutting it into bitesize cubes.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jug.
- Drain the water from the wakame and squeeze it thoroughly to remove the excess water.
- Take a mixing bowl and add all of the ingredients (except the bonito flakes) and the dressing and mix until well distributed. (Mix gently to avoid breaking the tofu too much. Alternatively, mix the tofu in last.)
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with bonito flakes and enjoy!
Best eaten the same day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chilling Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: wakame salad, Japanese wakame salad, wakame seaweed salad, how to make wakame salad, wakame salad recipe, wakame salad with cucumber, cucumber wakame salad, wakame salad cucumber, what is wakame salad, dried wakame salad, hiyashi wakame salad, hiyashi wakame seaweed salad, tofu wakame salad, seaweed salad recipe wakame,