How to make delicious miso soup with ginger (suitable for vegetarians and vegans)
- 500ml (2 cups) cold water
- 1-2 sheets Kombu dried kelp (6g)
- 2 Dried shiitake mushrooms (4g)
- 125g (4½oz) Firm Tofu
- 30g (1oz) Shimeji Mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 30g (1oz) Spring Onion
- 20g (2 inch piece / 2 tbsp) Fresh Ginger
- 2 tbsp Vegan Awase Miso Paste
- 1 tbsp White Sesame Seeds (optional)
Vegetarian / Vegan Awase Dashi
- In a pot, add 500ml (2 cups) cold water with 1-2 sheets of dried kelp kombu and 2 shiitake mushrooms.
- Put a lid on and leave to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the kombu and shiitake have softened and released their flavour, remove them from the water and discard. (You can cut up the mushrooms and add them back to the soup later if you don't want to waste them.)
- Cut the spring onions into diagonal pieces and the tofu into cubes.
- Peel the skin off of the ginger using a spoon (it works better than a peeler!) and then cut into fine slices.
- Add the ginger, tofu, spring onion and mushroom to the dashi and turn on the heat to medium.
- Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Place 2 tbsp of miso paste onto a mesh spoon or ladel and let some of the dashi water in. Whisk the miso paste and water together before incorporating it into the rest of the soup.
- Serve as a side dish and enjoy!
Best eaten immediately.
For storage, keep for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Sides
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: How to make miso soup from scratch, miso soup recipe, how to make vegan miso soup, vegan miso soup, mushroom miso soup,best miso soup recipe,Japanese miso soup, Japanese miso soup recipe,vegetarian miso soup, how to make dashi, vegan dashi recipe, how to cook miso soup, miso soup ingredients,