How to make spicy, fragrant and delicious Japanese style Mabo Nasu (Spicy Mapo Eggplant Stir Fry) Eggplants and soy meat stir fried in a tasty Chinese inspired sauce made of garlic, ginger and chili bean paste.
Suitable for vegans/vegetarians. Serves 2
- 2 Japanese eggplants (200g) See note
- Bowl of cold water (for soaking)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp spring onion (white part)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tobanjan
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 70g soy meat (mince style)
- 2 tbsp crushed nuts cashew or peanuts (optional)
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp water + 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 bowls of cooked rice
- Spring onion (green part - optional garnish)
- Chili threads (optional garnish)
- First, wash your egg plants and cut off the stems. Cut them down the middle, lengthways and then cut into rough chunks.
- Place the eggplant pieces into a bowl of cold water and add a pinch of salt. Leave to soak for 5 minutes, then drain the water and dry the eggplant with a paper towel.
- Finely dice the garlic cloves, ginger and spring onion.
- Crush the cashew nuts. (I used a mortar and pestle but you can cut them with a sharp knife.)
- Heat a pan on medium and add 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Once hot, add the garlic cloves, ginger and spring onion. Fry until fragrant.
- Next, add 1 tbsp tobanjan, 1/2 tsp sugar and a pinch of black pepper to the pan and mix.
- Now add the soy meat and crushed nuts, stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp sake, 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce to the pan and mix.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and drizzle 1 tbsp of sesame oil over the top. Stir fry until the eggplant pieces are lightly coated with the flavours from the pan and changed colour slightly.
- Next, add 300ml of vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp of water and 1 tsp of cornstarch together. Pour the mixture into the pan and mix well.
- Continue to mix on the heat until the liquid thickens and reaches the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle with spring onion (green part) and chili threads (optional). Serve with rice.
Japanese eggplants are quite small, you can use American, Italian or Chinese eggplants instead, just be aware of the size difference. (You might only need 1 -1.5)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Frying / Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese / Chinese
Keywords: mabo nasu, mabo nasu recipe, Japanese mabo nasu, Japanese eggplant, Japanese eggplant recipes, easy eggplant recipe, spicy eggplant, spicy aubergine, mapo eggplant, mapo aubergine, aubergine recipe, eggplant recipe, mapo sauce, eggplant tofu, eggplant tofu recipe, how to make mabo nasu, mapo nasu, vegan mabo nasu, vegan mapo eggplant