Learn how to prepare and cook eel for the most delicious unagi donburi (grilled eel rice bowl) complete with homemade sauce from scratch! (Serves 2 and doesn't include cooking rice. See here for how to cook Japanese rice.)
- Add 3 tbsp of turbinado sugar and 1 tsp dark brown sugar to a sauce pan. Place the pan on the stove and turn on the heat to medium-high.
- Once the sugar starts to melt, add 5 tbsp sake and 5 tbsp mirin. Bring to boil and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 5 tbsp of soy sauce and turn down the heat to simmer.
- Simmer until thickened slightly (about 10 minutes). Stir occasionally to prevent the sugar from burning.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool while preparing the eel.
- Wash the filleted eel with cold running water.
- Cover a chopping board with a sheet of plastic wrap and place the eel on top. Cut each eel into 2-3 pieces by pressing a sharp knife into the area you want to cut, and pushing the eel back and forth over the plastic wrap.
- Place the eel in a frying pan with the skin side down and add 2 tbsp of sake.
- Turn on the heat to medium and steam for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove it from the heat and line the grill with aluminium foil. Preheat the grill on medium-high for 5 minutes.
- Place the eel on the foil with the skin side down and grill for 6 minutes.
- Turn the eel over and grill the skin side for 5 minutes.
- Apply the sauce generously but evenly over the skin and grill for 30 seconds.
- Turn the eel over and apply the sauce on the meat side and grill for 30 seconds.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 twice more (3 times on each side in total).
- Dish up the rice and brush the surface with the leftover sauce.
- Place the eel on top and sprinkle with sansho pepper.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: unagi don, unagi don recipe, how to make unagi don, unagi donburi, unagi sauce, how to make unagi sauce, unagi sauce recipe, unagi eel, unagi rice bowl, what is unagi, eel rice bowl, eel donburi,