How to make 3 delicious homemade sauces to serve with deep fried pork cutlet (tonkatsu). Includes classic tonkatsu sauce, Nagoya style red miso tonkatsu sauce and toasted sesame tonkatsu sauce.
Each recipe serves 4.
Classic Tonkatsu Sauce
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 pinches of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
Nagoya Style Red Miso Tonkatsu Sauce
- 100ml dashi (or water)
- 2 tbsp red miso
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp white sesame seeds
Toasted Sesame Tonkatsu Sauce
- 30g white sesame seeds (approx 4 scant tbsp)
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp sugar
- 40ml water
Classic Tonkatsu Sauce (2 mins)
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame seeds to a bowl and mix thoroughly until well incorporated.
Nagoya Style Red Miso Tonkatsu Sauce (10 mins)
- Add dashi (or water), red miso paste, sake, mirin, soy sauce and light brown sesame seeds to a small saucepan and place on the stove on a medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame seeds.
- Transfer to a bowl for dipping or simply pour it directly onto the katsu.
Toasted Sesame Tonkatsu Sauce (10 mins)
- Add the white sesame seeds to a dry pan and heat on medium/medium-high.
- Stir continuously and toast the sesame seeds until slightly golden and you can smell the aroma.
- Grind the seeds down to a powder using a mortar and pestle (or spice blender).
- Mix the ground sesame seeds with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, sugar and water.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: tonkatsu sauce, tonkatsu sauce recipe, how to make tonkatsu sauce, authentic tonkatsu sauce, easy tonkatsu sauce, homemade tonkatsu sauce, tonkatsu sauce ingredients, authentic tonkatsu sauce recipe, what is tonkatsu sauce made of, best tonkatsu sauce, tonkatsu sauce easy, tonkatsu sauce Japanese, tonkatsu sauce uses