How to make simple, delicious and satisfying tofu steak coated with a glossy Japanese style sauce. (Serves 2)
- 300g-400g firm tofu
- 4 pinches black pepper
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion (optional garnish)
- 1 tsp chili threads (optional garnish)
Tofu Steak Sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 grated garlic clove (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
- Lay the piece of tofu flat on a chopping board, place one hand on top to hold it in place and hold your knife parallel to the chopping board. Make a horizontal cut through the middle, trying your best to keep them the same thickness.
- Wrap each piece with kitchen paper and place on microwavable plate. Microwave for 1 min 30 seconds at 600W.
- Remove the kitchen paper and sprinkle both sides of each piece with a pinch of black pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Once the pan is hot, evenly coat both sides of each piece of tofu with a thin layer of potato starch and immediately place them in the pan.
- Fry until the underneath is crispy and golden, then flip and repeat on the other side.
- While the tofu is cooking, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once both sides are browned, turn down the heat to low/medium-low and add the sauce. Move the tofu around the pan so that the sauce sticks to the surface, flip and repeat until the sauce is thickened and the tofu is evenly coated.
- Dish up and sprinkle with chopped spring onions and chili threads (optional).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Tofu
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: tofu steak, tofu steak recipe, how to make tofu steak, tofu steak sauce, tofu steak Japanese, Japanese tofu steak, tofu steaks, asian tofu steak, what goes with tofu steak, how to eat tofu steak, what kind of tofu for tofu steak, what is tofu steak made of