Fluffy omelette with imitation crab meat and shiitake mushrooms served on a mountain of rice and drizzled with a thick and glossy sweet vinegar sauce. Serves 1-2. (Cooking time doesn't include rice.)
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 200g cooked rice
- 1 tbsp spring onion white part, finely diced
- 30g imitation crab (crab sticks)
- 15g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- slurry (1 tbsp cold water mixed with 1 tsp corn starch)
- Place two dried shiitake mushrooms in approximately 100ml of cold water. (Or enough to cover, depending on the container.) Allow to soak for about 20-30 minutes or until softened.
- Cook the rice in advance. (I often use frozen rice and microwave it while cooking the sauce.)
- Peel the imitation crab sticks into strings.
- Place a saucepan on the stove and melt 15g butter on a low heat.
- Once melted, add 2 tsp of soy sauce and mix.
- Add 200ml chicken stock, 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Turn up the heat to medium and bring to boil.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute and then add 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar and your slurry (1 tbsp cold water mixed with 1 tsp corn starch).
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and continue to heat while mixing until it becomes slightly thickened and glossy.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Remove the soaked shiitake mushrooms from the water (don't throw away the water!), cut off the stems and then cut them into thin slices.
- Crack 4 eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Add the finely diced spring onion, sliced shiitake mushrooms and shreds of imitation crab, then whisk.
- Next add 1 tbsp of the shiitake dashi (left over water from soaking the mushrooms), 2 tsp Japanese mayonnaise, 1 tsp of ginger paste (grated ginger) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk well.
- Heat a wok or non-stick frying pan on medium-high.
- Once it's hot, pour 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan and pour the egg mixture in. Mix it in the pan (like you would with scrambled eggs) for about 30 seconds.
- Turn down the heat to medium and continue to heat without mixing until the egg is cooked half way through (it will be a bit runny on top - if you don't like runny eggs you can flip it to cook the other side.)
- Make a mountain of rice on a plate and carefully slide the omelette on top of the rice.
- Pour the sauce over the top and garnish with a drizzle of sesame oil and a sprinkling of green peas.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- soaking time: 25
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese / Chinese
Keywords: Tenshinhan, tenshinhan food, tenshinhan recipe, how to make tenshinhan, crab omelette, crab recipe, crab omelet, crab omelette on rice, crab omelet on rice, crab meat omelette, Japanese crab omelette,