How to make temaki sushi (hand roll sushi) from scratch! (Serves 3-4, approx 16 rolls)
- 300g short grain Japanese white rice
- 400ml water + water for washing
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 sheets of nori cut in half
- Wasabi (optional)
- Fillings of your choice (example for 3-4 servings: 200-250g sushi grade fish of your choice + 1 cucumber + 1 avocado etc)
- Soy sauce for dipping (optional)
- Pour the rice into a sieve placed over an empty mixing bowl. Fill with cold water, drain and repeat 3 times to remove the excess starch.
- Transfer the rice to a cooking pot and add the fresh water. Leave to soak for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Place the pot on the stove with the lid on and turn on the heat to medium. Bring to a boil. Listen for bubbling and do not remove the lid.
- Once it starts to bubble, set a timer for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, reduce the heat to medium low and set a timer for 3 minutes.
- When 3 minutes are up, lower the heat to a simmer and set a timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn up to the highest heat for 10 seconds and then turn the stove off. Leave the pot on the stove with the lid on and allow the rice to cook in the residual steam for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and lightly mix the rice.
- Mix the rice vinegar, salt and sugar in a small bowl and pour it over the rice. Mix well to evenly distribute it.
- Cover with a damp tea towel to stop it from drying out until it's time to serve.
How to assemble temaki sushi
- Cut the nori into halves and set it down horizontally in front of you.
- Add about 30g of rice and spread it out on one half of the nori, leaving the top corner empty. (Wet your hands to prevent the rice from sticking.) The rice should be shaped like a right-angled triangle.
- Spread a thin layer of wasabi diagonally through the middle of the rice triangle. (Optional)
- Place your choice of fillings over the top of the wasabi.
- Bring the bottom left corner of the nori up to the centre so that short edges of the rice triangle meet.
- Roll the remaining nori around the back of the cone, try and line up the points for a smoother and more beautiful shape.
- Dip in a personal bowl of soy sauce (depending on the filling) and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Sushi
- Method: Rolling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: temaki sushi, temaki sushi recipe, how to make temaki sushi, how to roll temaki sushi, sushi temaki, temaki sushi roll, temaki sushi ingredients, temaki hand roll sushi, temakizushi, how to roll temakizushi,