How to make Japanese tuna sashimi rice bowl "Tekkadon" with vibrant slices of sashimi grade tuna served upon vinegared rice and topped with wasabi, pickled ginger, shiso leaves and chopped spring onion. (Serves 2)
Sushi Rice (small batch)
- 150g Japanese short grain white rice
- 150ml cold water
- 2-3g kombu (dried kelp)
- 1/2 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Tuna and Marinade
- 150-200g sashimi grade tuna sliced
- 50ml soy sauce
- 50ml mirin
- 50ml sake
- 2-3g kombu
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- Pickled ginger (gari)
- 2-4 perilla leaves (shiso/ooba)
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onion
Sushi Rice (small batch)
- Measure out the rice and pour it into a sieve. Place the sieve over a mixing bowl, fill it with cold water and swish the rice around. Pour the cloudy water out and repeat two more times to wash the rice.
- Transfer the rice to a rice cooker (or pot with lid) and add the water and kombu. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the sake and mix. Set the rice cooker to cook the rice. (If cooking on the stove, follow my instructions in the post or check out "How to make perfect sushi rice".)
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl until the granules have dissolved. Set aside for later.
- Pour the mirin and sake into a small pan and boil on a medium-high heat for 1 minute to burn off the alcohol.
- Turn off the heat and add the soy sauce, then leave to cool. (You can speed up the cooling process by transferring the sauce to a heatproof bowl and placing over a bowl of ice.) It must be fully cooled before adding the tuna.
- Pour the cooled marinade into a wide container and add a small piece of kombu.
- Coat the tuna sashimi in the marinade and then lay them flat in the container. Try to keep it to one layer.
- Cover the tuna with plastic wrap so that its in direct contact with the surface of the tuna.
- If the container has a lid, place it on top. If not, add another piece of plastic wrap over the top.
- Chill and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once the rice has cooked, remove the kombu and break it up using a rice paddle.
- Add the rice vinegar mixture to the rice and mix until evenly distributed.
- Divide it into serving bowls and then arrange the slices of marinated tuna on top.
- Pour about 1/2 tbsp of the leftover marinade over each bowl and top with wasabi paste, shiso leaves, pickled ginger and chopped spring onion.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Donburi
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: tekkadon, how to make tekkadon, what is tekkadon, tekka don, how to make tekka don, what is tekka don, tuna sashimi rice bowl, tuna sashimi bowl, tuna sushi bowl, tekkadon recipe, tekka don recipe, tekka don bowl, tekka don ingredients, tekka don vs chirashi