How to make basic Tamago Kake Gohan (卵かけご飯) Japanese egg on rice. (Serves 1)
- Place the cooked rice in a bowl and drizzle with 1 tsp of soy sauce.
- In a separate bowl, whisk one pasteurised egg until the yolk and white is evenly combined.
- Pour the egg over the rice and mix well.
- Refer to the post for optional toppings.
- Enjoy as a classic Japanese style breakfast!
It's also common to just add the egg straight to the rice (rather than whisking it separately).
It's important to mix thoroughly before eating.
Tip: I often freeze 150g portions of cooked rice and then simply microwave when I make tamago kake gohan, this is convenient in the morning when time is limited!
If you don't have a rice cooker, check out my post "how to cook Japanese style rice on the stove". It also includes tips for freezing.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: rice
- Method: mixing
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: tamago kake gohan, how to make tamago kake gohan, other names for tamago kake gohan, is tamago kake gohan safe to eat in America, is tamago kake gohan safe to eat in the US, tkg, tkg tamago kake gohan, tamago kake gohan toppings,