How to make delicious and nutritious Takikomi Gohan (Japanese seasoned rice) with chicken and seasonal vegetables in fluffy white rice flavoured with dashi, soy sauce and mirin.
- 3 Dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Sheet dry kombu
- 300g Short grain Japanese white rice
- Water for soaking
- 150g Chicken thigh (skin on)
- 3 Pieces aburaage (fried tofu)
- 50g Carrot (approx half a small)
- 10g Fresh ginger
- 275ml Cold water
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Tsuyu sauce (See here for homemade tsuyu recipe)
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tbsp Sake
- First, measure out 300g of Japanese short grain rice and rinse it 3 times to wash it. (It's okay if the water is still cloudy.)
- Pour your rice into a bowl and add enough water so the rice is completely covered. Allow it to soak for one hour.
- Place the shiitake mushrooms and sheet of kombu into 275ml of cold water and soak it for one hour. This will make a dashi.
- Once the rice has been soaking for 1 hour, pour it into a sieve to drain the water and leave it to dry until it's time to cook. (I recommend leaving the rice in the sieve over the sink or a container to let the excess water drip out.)
- Remove the shiitake mushroom from the dashi and cut it into fine slices. (You can discard the kombu or use it to make kombu onigiri filling)
- Cut the carrot and into small, thin strips. Slice the aburaage to your preferred thickness.
- If your chicken thigh has the skin on, peel it off. Cut the chicken meat into small pieces, approximately 1 inch big. (2-3cm)
- Heat a small frying pan on medium (no oil needed) and add the chicken skin. Place a lid on (the fat tends to splash) and fry on both sides until crispy.
- Once done, take the crispy skin out of the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add your small chicken pieces and fry until the outside is sealed.
- Next, add your carrots, ginger, shiitake mushroom and aburaage to the pan. Stir fry them for a minute to allow your other ingredients to absorb some flavour from the chicken. (You do not need to cook them through as they will cook with the rice later.)
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Transfer the dried rice to a pot and add the homemade dashi.
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the pot on top of the rice. Cut the chicken skin into small pieces and add that too.
- Finally, pour 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp tsuyu sauce, 2 tbsp mirin and 2 tbsp of sake into the pot. IMPORTANT: Do not mix!
- Place the pot onto the stove with the lid on. On a medium heat, bring it to a boil. (Listen carefully and try to refrain from removing the lid.)
- Once you can heat it boiling, set a timer for 2 minutes.
- After two minutes, reduce the heat to medium low and set a timer for 3 minutes.
- Once 3 minutes have passed, turn the heat right down to the lowest setting and set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Blast the heat for 10 seconds on the highest setting and then turn it off. Leave the rice pot on the warm stove and allow to steam for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, mix the rice thoroughly and serve.
Leftovers should be frozen (not refrigerated) and then thoroughly reheated in the microwave before eating.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Soaking Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Rice
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: takikomi gohan, how to make takikomi gohan, takikomi gohan recipe, gomoku gohan, koyaku gohan, Japanese seasoned rice, Japanese mixed rice, seasoned rice, mixed rice, takikomi gohan ingredients, rice cooker recipe, japanese rice recipe, what to serve with takikomi gohan, what to eat with takikomi gohan