How to make delicious Soba Noodle Salad with Summer Vegetables! Chilled soba noodles topped with a tasty miso flavoured meat sauce topping mixed with aubergine and okra, then garnished with fresh tomato and spring onions. (Makes 2 large portions or 3 smaller portions)
- 2 Portions dry soba noodles (approx 200g / 7oz)
- Water for boiling
- 3 Okra
- 1 Medium aubergine (eggplant)
- 1 Medium tomato
- 2 Drizzles sesame oil (one for cooking, one for garnish)
- 100g / 3 1/2 oz Minced meat (see note)
- 1 1/2 Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Miso paste (I used awase/yellow miso)
- 2 tbsp Chopped spring onion to garnish (optional)
- First, prepare the vegetables. Slice a medium tomato, cut a medium aubergine into medium sized chunks and cut the okra into 2cm slices.
- Heat a frying pan on medium and add 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- When the oil is hot, add 100g of minced meat and fry.
- Once the meat is cooked through, add the cut aubergine and continue to stir fry.
- When the aubergine becomes slightly softened, add 1 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tbsp mirin and 2 tbsp of miso paste, mix thoroughly.
- Now you can add the okra and mix all the ingredients together in the pan.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced and then turn off the heat. Set aside until serving.
- Boil 200g of dried soba noodles as instructed on the packaging.
- Once the noodles are cooked, pour the noodles into a colander to drain the hot water and run them under cold running water. (Add ice to make them extra cold.)
- Transfer the soba noodles to 2 large plates (or 3 smaller plates).
- Evenly distribute the meat and vegetables on the top of the noodles and lay the sliced tomatoes on the side.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and drizzle with sesame oil.
- Serve up and mix well before eating.
Any ground meat goes well with this recipe, we like chicken the best! You can use meat substitute like soy mince too.
You can use other summery vegetables such as bell peppers, courgette (zucchini) or cucumber. Be creative!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Noodles
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese soba noodles,Soba noodle recipe,Summer soba recipe,Cold soba recipe,Soba noodles with summer vegetables,Soba noodles with miso,How to make cold Japanese soba noodles,Summer vegetables Japanese recipe, summer soba recipe, cold soba noodles, chilled soba noodles, summer soba, soba salad, soba noodle salad, soba vegetable salad,