How to make homemade Sukiya style Japanese Gyudon. Thinly sliced beef cooked in a delicious dashi sauce with simmered onions, served on a bed of fluffy Japanese white rice. (serves two)
- 2 bowls of cooked white rice (approx 300g)
- Spring onion / scallions green part - finely chopped to garnish
- 2 tsp Red pickled ginger to garnish
- 230g (½ lb) beef (thinly sliced rib or fatty cut)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
Marinating the beef
- Cut the beef to into thin slices, about 4-5cm long
- Put the beef into a container with ½ tsp ginger paste, ½ tsp garlic paste, 2 tbsp white wine, 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp mirin.
- Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Cut the onion into thick slices.
- Heat a frying pan on medium and add 1 tsp of oil.
- Fry the onions until they start to change colour and become slightly softened.
- Add the beef to the pan along with marinade.
- Seal the meat by lightly browning the surface. (It doesn't need to be fully cooked because we will continue to cook it in the sauce.)
- Add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp white wine, 1 tbsp tsuyu, 1 tbsp sugar and 300ml water to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes (or until the sauce is reduced by half).
- Dish up two bowls of rice. Divide the meat and onions between the two bowls.
- Pour a large spoonful of the sauce over the beef and rice.
- Garnish with chopped Welsh onion and "benishoga" red pickled ginger.
- Tsuyu sauce is not so easy to find if you do not live somewhere with an asian supermarket, try out our recipe for homemade tsuyu sauce here!
- See post above for more kinds of beef you can use for gyudon.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Beef
- Method: Fry / Simmer
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: gyudon,beef rice bowl,beef bowl,sukiyaki,japanese gyudon recipe,how to make japanese gyudon,sukiya style gyudon recipe,gyudon sauce recipe,the best gyudon recipe, how to make japanese gyudon, how to make gyudon, sukiya style gyudon recipe, gyudon recipe, how to make gyudon,yoshinoya gyudon,how to make beef gyudon, gyudon beef bowl, gyuudon,gyudon sauce