How to make Japanese Style Spaghetti Meat Sauce. A quick and deliciously sweet sauce made with ground meat, onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes served on top of perfectly cooked el dente spaghetti.
- 240g Dry spaghetti
- 1/2 White onion
- 1/4 Carrot (25g)
- 1/4 Stick of celery (50g)
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Tin of Tomatoes (400g)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 150g Minced meat (beef or beef/pork mixture)
- 1 tbsp Red wine
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- 1 Bay leaf
- A sprinkle of parmesan cheese (optional)
- A sprinkle of fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- First cut your vegetables. Finely dice 1/2 of a white onion, 1/4 of a carrot and and 1/4 a stick of celery.
- Finely dice one garlic clove.
- Heat a frying pan on medium and once hot, add 1 tbsp of butter.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pan and fry until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Next, add the mince meat to the pan and fry until browned.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of red wine, 2 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp pepper.
- Mix together and add one tin of tomatoes (400g) as well as 1 tsp sugar, 1 bay leaf and 1/2 a tsp oregano.
- Simmer on a low heat until reduced by half.
- While it's simmering, cook 240g of dry pasta (for 3 portions) in about 2 litres of boiling water with a pinch of salt.
- When the meat sauce is reduced, remove the bay leaf and add a small pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Drain the spaghetti and dish up. Using a ladle or spoon, pour the meat sauce on top of the spaghetti. It should be a little thick and just sit on top.
- Sprinkle some cheese and parsley (optional) and serve.
The alcohol in the wine is cooked off during the process so it's safe for kids to eat.
If you prefer not to use wine, you can substitute for an equal amount of grape, pomegranate or cranberry juice.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Italian / Japanese
Keywords: How to make Japanese Spaghetti Meat Sauce,ketchup meat sauce,homemade spaghetti sauce recipe,Japanese pasta,bolognese,How to make Japanese pasta,basic meat sauce,homemade spaghetti sauce recipe with ketchup,Japanese spaghetti meat sauce, spaghetti meat sauce recipe, how to make spaghetti meat sauce, spaghetti bolognese recipe, Japanese style pasta, wafu pasta, pasta recipe for kids