How to make delicious Japanese Simmered Pumpkin (かぼちゃの煮物)
- First, scoop the seeds and pulp out of the kabocha. You can throw them away, we won't need them in this recipe.
- Cut the kabocha into equal size chunks and leave the skin on.
- Place the kabocha pieces into a large pot with the skin side facing up. Make sure the kabocha pieces make only one layer in the pan, you don't want any pieces overlapping or sitting on top of one another.
- Add 300ml of dashi to the pot, turn on the stove to a medium heat and bring to boil.
- Once the dashi is boiling, add 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp mirin, continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- Next, add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sake and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Place a drop-lid in the pot touching the surface of the kabocha (you can use foil or baking paper) and simmer for 15 mins until the kabocha is soft.
- Serve as a side dish use in a bento box.
You can store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days after letting it cool. Put some broth in the container too!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Sides
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese Kabocha no nimono recipe, Japanese Simmered Pumpkin, Japanese simmered squash, Japanese simmered kabocha, simmered kabocha squash recipe, nimono recipe