How to make 1 litre of simple, umami packed Japanese dashi stock made with "kombu" dried kelp and dried shiitake mushrooms. Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- 1 litre (1.05 quarts) cold water
- 2-3 sheets Kombu dried kelp (12g)
- 4 Dried shiitake mushrooms (8g)
- In a pot, add 1 litre (1.05 quarts) cold water with 2-3 sheets of dried kelp kombu and 4 shiitake mushrooms.
- Put a lid on and leave to soak for at least 30 minutes. (preferably over night)
- Once the kombu and shiitake have softened and released their flavour, remove the shiitake and put the pot on a medium heat. (You can discard the shiitake or cut them up and incorporate them into your cooking if you don't want to waste them.)
- Once the water starts to bubble, remove the kombu and discard.
- Simmer the dashi for 5 minutes.
- Use as a soup base, noodle broth base or to make a sauce!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dashi
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: How to make dashi, how to make dashi from scratch, what is dashi, dashi stock, dashi broth, dashi ingredients, kombu, dashi soup,dried kelp, dried shiitake, kombu dashi, vegan dashi, vegetarian dashi, dashi recipe,