How to make Japanese style seafood doria (シーフードドリア) with shrimp and vegetable pilaf topped with homemade béchamel sauce and melted cheese. (Serves 2)
Pilaf (Seasoned Rice)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely diced
- 200g shrimp or mixed seafood
- 3 button mushrooms finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 250g cooked rice (approx 115g before cooking)
- 1/2 knorr chicken stock cube (save the other half for béchamel sauce)
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 200ml whole milk
- 1/2 chicken stock cube (from earlier)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Shredded melting cheese (cheddar, gouda, mozzarella etc) and powdered hard cheese (parmesan, pecorino etc) to taste
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Heat a pan on medium/medium-low. Once heated, add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and a finely diced garlic clove.
- Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add the shrimp/seafood and mushrooms. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Pour in 2 tbsp white wine, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and fry until the liquid is almost gone.
- Add 1/2 tsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut a knorr stock cube in half and crush it with the back of a knife. We will add this to the fried rice later. (Save the other half for the béchamel sauce.)
- Heat a large wok on medium and melt 1/2 tbsp butter.
- Once it's melted add the 1/2 a diced onion and fry until softened and slightly translucent.
- Next, add the cooked rice and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the spices (1/8 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp paprika and 1/8 tsp turmeric) and the half a crushed chicken stock cube, stir fry until well combined.
- Once the spices are well distributed, add 1 tbsp ketchup and mix well.
- Add the contents of the other pan (seafood and mushrooms) to the rice and stir fry everything together until the ingredients are well distributed throughout the rice.
- Remove from the heat.
- Take a sauce pan and melt 2 tbsp unsalted butter on a low heat.
- Once it's melted, add 2 tbsp flour and mix thoroughly until smooth to make a roux.
- Add half of the milk (100ml), the other half of the knorr chicken stock cube and 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk until smooth.
- When it becomes a thick ball of paste, add 50ml more milk and break it up with a whisk. (It's okay to lift it off the heat temporarily to slow the cooking/thickening process - see video.)
- Once you've combined the milk and roux, add the last 50ml of milk and whisk until it becomes a smooth and thick sauce.
- When the sauce is thickened to a consistency that would cover the back of a spoon, turn off the heat and whisk in a pinch of nutmeg.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Lay the rice at the bottom of an oven proof dish.
- Coat evenly with béchamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with your choice of cheese.
- Bake at 220C/420F on the top shelf for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!
I used 2 10x16cm (4x6") for two servings.
This recipe also works well with chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: seafood doria, seafood doria recipe, how to make seafood doria, seafood rice gratin, Japanese rice gratin, Japanese gratin, seafood gratin, shrimp rice gratin, shrimp doria, japanese seafood doria, how to make bechamel sauce, doria