How to make delicious "Sata Andagi" Okinawan donuts with just 5 ingredients!
- 70g Okinawan brown sugar (or muscovado)
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tbsp neutral flavoured oil (I used canola) or melted butter
- 125g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Preheat the oil to 150-160°C (302-320°F).
- Sift the Okinawan brown sugar into a large mixing bowl using a sieve, use a spatula to help work it through.
- Crack an egg into the bowl and add the oil. Whisk thoroughly until smooth and well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cake flour, baking powder and salt together until well distributed.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix them together using a spatula until a dough is formed. It should have the consistency of soft cookie dough.
- Tip: Use two spoons to divide the dough into equal pieces (I make twelve) and lay them on a silicone baking mat or greaseproof paper.
- Once the oil is heated, roll each piece into a ball and carefully place it in the oil. I recommend greasing your hands for this as the dough is very sticky.
- Deep fry until golden and cracked. This will take about 4-5 minutes. (When they are ready, they should float and roll around in the oil.)
- Transfer to a wire rack to drain any excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Store in the freezer in an airtight freezable container for up to 1 month.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Deep frying
- Cuisine: Okinawan
Keywords: Sata andagi, andagi, sata andagi recipe, how to make sata andagi, how to make andagi, what is andagi, what is sata andagi, can you reheat andagi, recipe for andagi, okinawan andagi recipe, Okinawan sata andagi, satandagi, sataandagi,