How to make classic autumn "Sanma no Shioyaki" (秋刀魚の塩焼き) Grilled Pacific Saury with grated daikon and citrus. Perfect served with rice and miso soup on a cool autumn evening. (Serves two).
- 2 Pacific Saury (fresh)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Grated daikon
- A dash Soy sauce
- 1 Kabosu or sudachi (or 2 slices lemon/lime)
- First, wash the Pacific saury in a bowl of cold water. Rub the skin with your hands to thoroughly clean it.
- Drain the water and dry the saury with kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle each side of the saury with a pinch of salt and rub it over the skin. Leave for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add 100ml of water and 50ml of sake. Place the saury into the bowl and wash again.
- Dry the saury with kitchen paper once more and sprinkle another pinch of salt on each side. Rub it over the skin. You can also make incisions both sides to make it easier to eat later. (Be careful not to cut too deep, only cut through the skin.) Leave for 5 minutes.
- Brush oil over the grill and preheat for 3-5 minutes on medium high.
- Place the Pacific saury onto the oiled grill, make sure to position them so that they will lay directly under the heat source.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Serve each salt grilled saury with 1 tbsp of grated daikon drizzled with soy sauce and a wedge of your chosen citrus.
- Enjoy with rice and miso soup!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: sanma, sanma no shioyaki, sanma shioyaki, how to cook sanma, how to eat sanma, pacific saury, grilled pacific saury, pacific saury recipe, how to cook pacific saury, sanma fish, grilled sanma, sanma recipe, Japanese sanma, salt grilled sanma, sanma shio