How to make Japanese tea rice "Ochazuke" (お茶漬け) with salmon and crispy salmon skin.
- 2 salmon fillets (approx 200g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sake (optional)
- 300ml hot dashi
- 1 green tea bag (approx 2g)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 200g - 300g cooked rice (2 portions)
- 1/2 tsp ground sesame seeds
- Kizami nori
- Spring onion finely chopped - to garnish
- Wasabi optional
- Dry the surface of the salmon fillets with a paper towel and rub 1/4 tsp salt over each fillet. (Make sure to rub the salt on both sides.)
- Preheat the grill on a medium-high setting.
- Once the grill is hot enough, rub a tsp of sake over the salmon (optional) and place them under the grill with the skin side facing up.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is golden and crispy.
- Once crisped up, turn down the heat to medium and flip the salmon over. Grill the other side for 3-4 minutes or until it's cooked through.
- Remove the salmon from the grill and peel off the skin. Cut the crispy skin into thin slices.
- Place the salmon meat in a bowl and break it into flakes.
- Take teapot or jug and add 300ml hot dashi (approx 8oC/175F). Place a green teabag inside and allow to brew for 1 minute.
- Remove the tea bag and add 2 tsp soy sauce.
- Take two bowls of rice and add 1/4 tsp of ground sesame to each bowl.
- Distribute the salmon flakes, salmon skin and chopped spring onions evenly on top of each portion of rice.
- Pour the dashi tea just before serving and sprinkle with kizami nori.
- Enjoy with wasabi!
It's common to add pickles to ochazuke, feel free to customize!
Enjoy ochazuke chilled in the summer (simply chill the dashi/tea in the refrigerator)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: ochazuke, ochazuke recipe, salmon ochazuke, ochazuke packets, how to make ochazuke, what is ochazuke, what kind of tea for ochazuke, tea on rice, ochazuke toppings, salmon ochazuke recipe, chazuke, Japanese ochazuke,