Delicious salmon donburi (サーモン丼) made with marinated sashimi-grade salmon, fresh avocado and crunch cucumber served over soft Japanese white rice. (serves 2 - recipe doesn't include how to cook rice)
- 150-200g sashimi-grade salmon
- 1 avocado
- 50ml soy sauce
- 50ml mirin
- 50ml sake
- 1 small sheet kombu (approx 5g)
- 2 portions cooked rice
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Kizami nori strips (optional)
- Chili threads (optional)
- Wasabi (optional)
- Pour 50ml soy sauce, 50ml mirin and 50ml sake into a small pan and bring it to a boil on a medium-high heat.
- Allow the sauce to boil for 1 min to burn off the alcohol in the mirin and sake.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the sauce to cool down to room temperature. (You can speed up the process by transferring the sauce to a heatproof bowl and placing it in a bowl of ice.)
- Cut the salmon block and avocado into cubes and place them in a container.
- Place a small piece of kombu in the container and then pour the marinade over the salmon and avocado until everything is evenly coated.
- Cover it with plastic wrap, the plastic wrap should be in direct contact with the salmon.
- If your container has a lid, secure it on. (If not, place another piece of plastic wrap over the top.) Store in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins dish up the rice and cut the cucumber into cubes. Scatter the salmon, avocado and cucumber over the rice.
- Pour 1/2 tbsp of the leftover marinade over each bowl.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds over each bowl and garnish with kizami nori and/or chili threads.
If you're using a rice cooker, set the rice while you're waiting for the marinade.
See here to learn how to make Japanese style rice on the stove. (Takes 1 hour)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Marinating Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Marinating
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: salmon donburi, salmon sashimi bowl, sashimi bowl, salmon bowl, salmon donburi recipe, how to make salmon donburi, how to make salmon sashimi bowl, salmon sashimi bowl recipe, salmon poke bowl, salmon and avocado bowl, sashimi salad bowl, salmon don, salmon sashimi don,