How to make "Saizeriya Style Karami Chicken" (サイゼリヤ風辛味チキン). Chicken wings marinated in a spiced sauce and then coated in two types of flour to create a delicious, crispy and mildly spicy batter. (Serves 1)
- Start by taking a good sharp knife and chopping board. Stretch out each wing and cut off the tips by cutting through the cartilage part in the fold. (see video for demonstration.) You can discard the tips or save them for making chicken stock.
- Take a container and add 1 tbsp white wine, 1 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp Sichuan Chilli Bean Paste (tobanjan), 1 tsp vinegar, ¼ tsp of salt, 1 tsp oyster sauce and 1 tsp garlic paste. This is your marinade.
- Mix it well and add the chicken wings to the container. Mix them around, making sure they're all completely covered.
- Marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Take a deep frying pan and add oil so its about 2cm (1 inch) high. Heat your oil to 160°C (320°F), preferably use a thermometer to check the heat accurately. We maintain the temperature on a medium-low setting but all stoves vary so checking with a thermometer is the safest way to be sure.
- Add 2 tbsp corn starch and 2 tbsp of weak flour to the chicken and mix it around. The flours will mix with the marinade to make a thick batter over the chicken.
- Once the oil is heated, add the marinated chicken wings and fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Increase the heat to 190°C (375°F) and fry for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the chicken wings from the oil and place on a wire rack to allow any excess oil to drip off.
- Serve while hot as a delicious side!
For spicier wings, you can add chilli powder to the flour.
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Meat
- Method: Shallow Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Karami chicken recipe, how to make karami chicken, karami chicken wings, Saizeriya style karami chicken wings, Japanese style chicken wings, Japanese spicy chicken wings, spicy chicken wings, Saizeriya recipe, saizeriya chicken wings, saizeriya karami chicken, saizeriya menu,spicy chicken wing recipe,