A recreation recipe of Saizeriya's most loved dish, Milano Meat Doria. Turmeric rice topped with creamy béchamel sauce, tomato meat sauce with a kick and tangy pecorino cheese.
- 150g (5.3oz) uncooked short grain rice
- 200ml (0.85 cups) water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pinch of salt
Meat sauce (see note)
- 100g (3.5) ground meat (see note)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 can of diced tomato (half of 400g/14oz)
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of curry powder
White sauce (see note)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 150ml (2/3 cups) milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) single cream
- 2 tbsp hard cheese (Pecorino or Parmesan)
- A sprinkle of your preferred melting cheese (I used a mixture of light cheddar and gouda)
Cooking the Rice
- Cook the rice as you would usually do with 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tbsp butter. (Make sure to mix before turning on the heat.)
(Using a rice cooker is the easiest way. Japanese rice for "doria" on the stove: Wash 150g short grain rice 3 times and soak in 200ml of cold water in your cooking pot for 30 mins. Add 1 tsp tumeric powder and 1 tbsp unsalted butter and mix. With the lid on, heat the pot of rice on medium until the water comes to the boil. When you can hear the water boiling, without removing the lid, reduce the heat to medium low for 5 mins. Reduce the heat again to the lowest setting and continue to cook for 5 mins. After the 5 mins are up, turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins. By leaving the lid on, the rice continues to cook in the steam/residual heat.)
- Prepare the other parts of the dish while the rice is cooking.
- Dice the 1/2 a white onion.
- Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil into the pan and heat on medium-high.
- Once it's heated, add the onion and crush 1 garlic clove into the pan. Fry for 2 mins.
- Add 100g mince meat and cook until browned.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper and add the 1 tsp flour.
- Pour in 1/2 a can of tomatoes (200g) and bring it to the boil.
- Once it starts bubbling, bring the heat down to low.
- Add 1 tsp soy sauce, ½ tbsp sugar and ¼ tsp of curry powder, mix and then simmer on a low heat with the lid on for 10 mins.
- Melt 2 tbsp unsalted butter in a saucepan on a low heat.
- Add 2 tbsp flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, mix thoroughly to make a roux.
- Gradually add 125m single cream and 150ml milk while whisking.
- Turn up the heat to medium-low and cook until thick and creamy. Once thick, remove from the heat.
Assembling The Doria
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (or 430°F).
- Put the turmeric rice into an ovenproof dish. (You can use 1 medium oven dish or 2 smaller ones)
- Layer the rice with the white sauce.
- Add the meat sauce to the centre.
- Sprinkle the hard cheese (Pecorino or Parmesan) and your preferred melting cheese (such as cheddar or gouda) over the top.
- Bake for 10 mins on the middle shelf. Move to the top shelf for the last 5 minutes to add golden colour to the cheese.
- Serve up and enjoy!
We use beef/pork minced meat in our recipe but you can also use chicken or even a meat substitute if you want to make it vegetarian friendly.
It's a short cut but you can use pre-made bolognese and white sauce if you don't want to make sauces from scratch.
If you want to make it in advance, cook the rice, béchamel sauce and meat sauce and assemble the doria, then store it in the refrigerator and cook the next day. (I don't recommend keeping it longer than that.)
Freeze unbaked doria for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen at 190°C (375°F) covered with foil for 50 mins then remove the tin foil and bake for another 5-10 mins uncovered.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 1-2 days and reheat in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Yoshoku
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Japanese / Italian
Keywords: doria,saizeriya,how to make Japanese doria,Saizeriya doria recipe,Japanese style doria,Japanese doria recipe,meat doria,beef, Japanese gratin recipe, meat gratin, doria,japanese gratin,Japanese casserole recipes,milano doria,Japanese cheesy rice,What is doria,Japanese Italian recipes, Japanese meat gratin, milano meat doria, milano fu doria, Japanese meat doria recipe, Japanese meat doria,