How to make Japanese grilled mackerel (saba no shioyaki). Serves 2.
- 2 mackerel fillets (skin-on)
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 sudachi halved (optional)
- Oroshi daikon drizzled with a dash of soy sauce (optional)
- Wash the mackerel fillets under cold running water and place them in a container.
- Pour 1 tbsp of sake over the fish and rub it over the surface on both sides.
- Cover the container and rest in the fridge for 15 minutes, 30 minutes if you have time.
- Once 30 minutes have passed, remove the mackerel from the fridge and preheat your oven grill on a medium high / high setting.
- Dry the surface of the mackerel with a paper towel on both sides.
- Sprinkle a generous pinch of salt from a height on each side, this will help evenly distribute it.
- Make 3 diagonal incisions on the skin of the mackerel.
- Place the mackerel fillets on the grill with the skin side down and cook for 4 minutes. (Exact time might vary depending on the strength of your oven grill and the thickness of your fish.)
- Flip over and grill the other side for 3 minutes.
- Serve with sudachi and grated daikon drizzled with a dash soy sauce (optional).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Fish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: saba shioyaki, saba no shioyaki, what is saba shioyaki, saba shioyaki recipe, how to cook saba shioyaki, how to make saba shioyaki, saba no shioyaki recipe, Japanese mackerel recipe, Japanese grilled mackerel, grilled mackerel, Japanese mackerel, Japanese salted mackerel recipe