Two ways to make light and crispy Japanese panko breadcrumbs. Makes 100g panko (approx 1 cup) or enough for about 4 portions.
- 1.5-2 thick slices of white bread (approx 50-70g per piece)
Method 1 (Food Processor/Blender)
- Cut the bread into rough cubes.
- Place the cubes in the food processor / blender and blitz for a few seconds. (Don't blitz for too long or the panko will be too fine.)
Method 2 (freeze and grate)
- Cut the bread slices into 3-4 pieces and place them on a tray.
- Place the tray in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until the bread is completely frozen.
- Take one piece of bread from the freezer and grate using a grater with large holes.
- Repeat until all of the bread is grated into panko breadcrumbs.
Place leftover panko breadcrumbs in an airtight container for up to 1 month and defrost at room temperature before use.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Blitzing / Grating
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: panko, panko breadcrumbs, what are panko breadcrumbs, what is panko, how to make panko, how to make panko breadcrumbs, panko recipe, panko recipes, panko breadcrumb recipe, what bread to use for panko, Japanese panko breadcrumbs, Japanese panko,