How to make delicious, refreshing Okinawan Style Taco Rice. Delicious seasoned meat that has been fried with onion and garlic, loaded on top of rice and salad, then sprinkled with cheese and tortilla chips and drizzled with mayonnaise. Every bite is packed with flavour! It's the ultimate Japanese/Mexican fusion dish!
- 1 Medium tomato
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Chilli sauce (any that you like)
Japanese Style Taco Mince
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 White onion
- 150g Minced beef (Preferably lean meat)
- 1 tbsp Sake
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 300g Cooked white rice (see here for how to cook Japanese style rice)
- 3 leaves of Lettuce of your choice
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 tbsp Grated cheese
- 4 Tortilla chips
- 1 tsp Japanese Mayonnaise (Optional)
- First, cut the tomato and avocado into about 1cm cubes.
- Add the tomato to a small bowl and mix with 1 tsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp of your favourite chilli sauce. Set aside for later.
- Dice the onion and finely dice the garlic.
- Heat the pan on medium high and add about 1 tsp vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until the onion becomes soft and transparent.
- Add the mince to the pan and fry until it's browned.
- Once cooked, add 1 tbsp sake, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp tomato ketchup, 1 tsp chilli powder and mix. Cook until the sauce is reduced by half. (See note)
- Cut the lettuce into strips and lay it around the edge of the plate, leaving the middle empty.
- Add the rice to the middle of the lettuce leaves.
- Put between 1/3 and 1/2 of the mince mix on top (depending on if you're making 2 or 3 servings)
- Place the tomato and avocado decoratively on the top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
- Drizzle with mayo (optional) and serve!
If you can't get all the ingredients for the seasoning or you want a short cut, you can use ready made taco spice (but it won't have a Japanese flavour).
If you don't like spicy food, you can leave out the chilli powder and chilli sauce. Without those ingredients it will be very mild and sweet.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: Japanese Taco Rice,Okinawan Taco rice,Okinawa,taco rice,recipe,taco rice bowl,what is taco rice, Japanese Fusion,taco rice recipe, how to make taco rice,okinawa taco rice recipe,okinawan taco rice recipe,Japanese taco, how to say taco in Japanese, Japanese taco rice recipe,what is Japanese taco