How to make simple negitoro don with tuna and salmon sashimi drizzled with a delicious homemade sauce. (Recipe doesn't include rice cooking time.)
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp dashi liquid
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 ooba leaves thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp kizami nori (shredded nori)
- A blob of wasabi (according to preference)
- 2 tbsp spring onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cucumber diagonally sliced
- 150g sashimi grade tuna
- 50g sashimi grade salmon
- 2 bowls of cooked rice
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Add the sake and mirin to a small sauce pan and heat on medium. Bring to boil and allow to bubble for 30 seconds.
- Turn heat down to low and add the sugar and dashi. Mix over the heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat and add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix and remove from the stove. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using sharp knife, cut the tuna and salmon into thin strips.
- Finely dice the tuna and salmon using a rocking motion with your knife. As the tuna and salmon spreads out, scrape it back to the centre and repeat, cutting in different directions each time until a "mince" is formed.
- Divide the rice into portions and make a bed of chopped spring onion and kizami nori. (Leave some chopped spring onion to spring over the top at the end.)
- Place the mashed tuna and salmon on top and sprinkle with spring onion and toasted sesame seeds. Arrange a few cucumber slices on the side with a blob of wasabi to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the top.
- Mix well before eating and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Dicing
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: negitoro, negitorodon, negitoro don, negitoro donburi, how to make negitoro, negitoro recipe, what is negitoro, negitoro sauce, how to make negitoro sauce, negitoro sauce recipe