How to make rich and flavourful Nasu no Agebitashi (茄子の揚げ浸し) made with deep fried eggplant soaked in a seasoned homemade dashi broth. (Serves 2)
- 100ml dashi broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 dried chili pepper deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants or similar (approx 200g)
- 4 shishito peppers (optional)
- oil for deep frying
- 1 tbsp grated daikon
- Chopped spring onion (optional garnish)
- Shredded perilla leaves (optional garnish)
- Add the dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and finely sliced chili pepper to a small sauce pan. Place on the stove on a medium heat and bring it to a boil. Allow it to boil for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat and leave to cool.
- Wash the eggplant and cut off the stems. Cut in half lengthways and make shallow, diagonal slices across the skin side. (Each slice should be about 1/2cm apart.)
- If you have small eggplants, cut them in half horizontally. If you have longer eggplants, cut them into thirds or quarters.
- Heat your oil to 170°C (340°F) and add the eggplant with the skin side facing down, fry for 1 min on each side. Fry the shishito peppers for 1 minute.
- Remove the eggplant and shishito peppers from the oil and transfer to colander. Place the colander either in the sink or in a large heat proof bowl and pour boiling water over it to wash off the excess oil.
- Transfer the eggplant and shishito peppers to the agebitashi broth and leave to cool. Once cool, chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Dish up and serve with grated daikon radish and a sprinkle of chopped spring onion.
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days.
NOTE: The nutritional value includes the entire sauce, which we don't drink up in this dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Chilling Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Deep fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: nasu no agebitashi, nasu agebitashi, eggplant agebitashi, nasu agebitashi recipe, how to make nasu agebitashi, how to make agebitashi, agebitashi recipe, agebitashi eggplant, aubergine agebitashi, deep fried eggplant, vegetable agebitashi,