How to make rich and warming "Miso Nikomi Udon" (味噌煮込みうどん). Thick udon noodles in a rich red miso broth with various toppings.
- 150g pork belly thinly sliced or chicken bitesize pieces
- 500ml dashi (check out my homemade dashi recipe!)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp mirin
- 1 + 1-2 tbsp red miso paste (preferably hatcho miso or shirakiku red miso)
- 2 portions udon noodles
- 50g spring onion sliced
- 50g shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 pieces aburaage (twice fried tofu) thinly sliced / optional
- Kamaboko (pink and white fish cake) sliced / optional
- Heat up a frying pan on a medium heat, once hot add a drizzle of oil and the meat of your choice.
- Brown the meat until it's sealed on the outside and the fat is slightly crispy.
- Take a pot and add 500ml of dashi stock. Heat up on medium/medium-high.
- Once the dashi is almost boiling, add 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp mirin and mix.
- Place 1 tbsp of red miso paste onto a mesh spoon or ladle and submerge it into the dashi broth briefly. Use a small whisk or chopsticks to break it up and gradually incorporate it into the broth. (Alternatively, place the miso paste in a small bowl with a few tbsp of the hot dashi, break up/whisk until there are no more lumps of miso and then pour it into the rest of the broth.)
- Cook your udon noodles in a separate pot for 3 minutes less than the packaging states and rinse to remove the excess starch.
- Transfer the udon noodles, meat and the rest of the ingredients to the broth and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and incorporate 1-2 more tbsp of miso paste. (Use same method as step 5.)
- Crack the eggs into the broth and place a lid on the pot, allow to cook for 2 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking.
You can use chicken or pork for this recipe. Thinly sliced meat works best.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Noodles
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Miso nikomi udon, how to make miso nikomi udon, miso nikomi udon recipe, miso udon, miso udon recipe, how to make miso udon, udon noodle broth, red miso broth, miso-nikomi udon, miso udon soup, how to make miso udon soup, nagoya udon, nagoya miso udon, red miso, hacho miso, hatcho miso, nagoya meshi, miso nikomi nagoya, miso nikomi udon nagoya,