How to make delicious Japanese style Tarako / Mentaiko Pasta (たらこ・明太子パスタ) with spaghetti, homemade cod roe sauce and fragrant shiso leaves.
- 200g Spaghetti (1.7-1.8ml)
- 3 litres Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 80g Mentaiko or Tarako
- 20g Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Tsuyu sauce or soy sauce
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 3 Ooba leaves or 2 tbsp cut nori
- 1 slice Lemon (optional, see note)
- First, take a large pot and bring 3 litres of water to a boil.
- While you're waiting for your water to boil, soften the butter and take the skin off of the mentaiko by cutting it open and scraping the contents out with a spoon. (Don't throw away the skin, it's edible so you can eat it with rice or put it in onigiri rice balls.)
- Cut the ooba leaves into 3mm wide strips.
- Once the water is boiling, add 1 tbsp of salt and 200g spaghetti. Cook until "el dente" (firm to the bite).
- While you wait for the spaghetti to cook, take a large bowl and add the butter, mentaiko, olive oil, tsuyu sauce, black pepper and milk. Mix until well incorporated.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked, take 1 tbsp of the pasta water and add it to the bowl of mentaiko sauce.
- Drain the rest of the water and add the cooked spaghetti to the bowl.
- Mix until the pasta is well covered.
- Transfer the pasta to serving dishes and top with the cut ooba leaves (or nori).
If you're using nori, about 1/4 a sheet of sushi nori will be enough to garnish two portions.
You can add a squeeze of lemon over the pasta at the end.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Fusion
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese / Italian
Keywords: mentaiko pasta, mentaiko spaghetti, how to make mentaiko pasta, mentaiko pasta recipe, mentaiko spaghetti recipe, spicy cod roe, spicy cod roe pasta, Japanese mentaiko spaghetti, Japanese mentaiko pasta, pollock roe,mentaiko pasta sauce,what is mentaiko pasta, tarako spaghetti, mentaiko, tarako, tarako pasta, cod roe pasta, pollock roe pasta