Enjoy making this delicious, rich and creamy matcha ice cream totally by hand, no ice cream machine required!
- 2 egg yolks
- 75g sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 200ml full fat milk
- 200ml heavy cream (36%)
- 1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
- Pour 200ml of milk and 200ml heavy cream into a saucepan and heat on medium while stirring. Once bubbles start to form around the edges (or it reaches 60°C or 140°F) turn off the heat.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk two egg yolks with 75g sugar and 1 tsp corn starch.
- Once it's well incorporated, add 1 ladle of hot milk/cream mixture to the eggs while whisking thoroughly.
- Gradually add the rest of the hot milk/cream while still whisking.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve and back into the pan. (I recommend wiping out the pan first.)
- Turn the heat on low / medium-low and sift in the 1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder.
- Whisk until the matcha powder is dissolved and the mixture has thickened.
- Once the mixture reaches a thick, custard-like consistency, turn off the heat and transfer it to a steel bowl.
- Whisk it to help release some heat and place cling film over the top of the mixture, making sure it's making contact with the surface. (This will stop a skin from forming on the top.)
- Place the bowl in a bowl of ice and allow to cool.
- Once cool, transfer to a container with a lid and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. (Tip: It will freezer faster in a wide container rather than a tall one.)
- After 30 minutes, take it out from the freezer and whisk for 1 minute. Return to the freezer and repeat 5 more times. (It will take 3 hours in total, if it gets too hard to whisk, mix with a spatula and make sure to scrape down the sides.)
- After you've finished the whisking process, it will be ready to eat in approximately 1-2 more hours. (It can take more or less time depending on the temperature of your freezer and size of your container.)
- Remove from the freezer for 10 minutes before serving. (This will soften it and make it easier to scoop.)
Prep time is cooling/freezing/whisking time.
If doubling or tripling the recipe, be aware it will take longer to freeze. You can use multiple containers to shorten the freezing time.
For best results, eat within 2 weeks. (The taste and texture of the ice cream starts to deteriorate after 2 weeks, but it is still edible.)
- Prep Time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Freezing
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: matcha ice cream, matcha ice cream recipe, how to make matcha ice cream, how to make green tea ice cream, green tea ice cream recipe, matcha green tea ice cream, Japanese ice cream,matcha icecream, green tea icecream, matcha ice cream no machine, matcha ice cream no ice cream machine, handmade matcha ice cream, hand churned matcha ice cream