How to make simple and tasty "Kappa Maki" (かっぱ巻き) the perfect sushi roll for beginners! (Makes 6 rolls cut into 24-36 pieces)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g Cooked Japanese short grain rice (1 rice cup or 150g when uncooked) See how to make sticky Japanese style rice here.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1/4 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt until dissolved.
- Mix the vinegar mixture with 300g of cooked rice. (It's okay if it's still warm.)
- Next, sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of salt onto a chopping board and roll the cucumber over it.
- Rub the salt over the skin and then rinse the cucumber under cold water.
- Cut off both ends, and peel the skin off of the top and bottom. (The skin at the ends is often thicker and can have a slightly bitter taste.)
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthways, then again into quarters. If your cucumber is large, you'll need to cut it into sixths or eighths.
- Run a knife along the area just below the seeds to remove them.
- Fold your nori sheets in half and pinch along the crease so that you tear them in half. (You can use scissors if you prefer.) This will give you 6 smaller nori sheets.
- Place the nori onto the bamboo rolling mat with the rough side facing up. Make sure the bamboo is laying horizontally in front of you.
- Wet your hands with cold water. Keep a bowl of cold water nearby to use when necessary. (This helps stop rice sticking to your hands.)
- Take a handful of sushi rice (approx 50g) and shape it into a cylindrical shape.
- Place the rice cylinder onto one end of the nori, and gently spread it to the other end. (You can use a rice paddle to spread it if you prefer.)
- Use your hand to make a wall at the end of the nori, and push the sushi rice right up to the edge.
- Now pull the rice down so the bottom edge is covered with rice, but leave a gap at the top. The top part will wrap around and help the maki hold it's shape.
- Add a small blob of wasabi and spread it down the middle.
- Place the slice of cucumber over the wasabi and push it into the rice to prevent it from moving.
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat closest to you (the bottom edge) and carefully roll it over so that the two edges of the rice meet. (Make sure it's tight!)
- Open the bamboo mat slightly and roll over the flap of nori to close the sushi. You don't need to wet it down, the moisture from the rice will help the nori stick together.
- Once you have your completed sushi roll, use the bamboo mat to press the edges and make it into a cube shape. (Kappa maki is typically a cube rather than round.)
- Repeat until you have 6 rolls and wet a sharp knife with a damp cloth. Cut each sushi roll into 4, 5 or 6 pieces depending on size preference.
- Enjoy your homemade kappamaki with soy sauce for dipping!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Rolling
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: How to make kappa maki, Kappa maki recipe, kappa maki, kappa maki sushi, how to cut cucumber for kappa maki, how to roll makizushi, how to make sushi rolls, easy sushi roll, cucumber sushi roll, what is kappa?, kappa maki meaning,cutting cucumber for sushi, cucumber roll sushi