How to make quick and easy Japanese Teriyaki Chicken! Crispy pan fried chicken thigh coated in a sweet and delicious homemade teriyaki sauce!
- First, place the chicken thigh on a chopping board with the underneath facing up (skin-side down) and make horizontal incisions on the thickest parts to make small flaps. Pull out the flaps so that the chicken thigh is more or less an even thickness all the way through.
- Flip the chicken over and pierce the skin with a fork all over.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt on both sides and rub it over.
- Dry the surface with a paper towel.
- Thinly coat the underneath with potato starch (or corn starch). Make sure to brush off any excess.
- Add the vegetable oil to a cold pan and place the chicken thigh inside with the skin side facing down.
- Move the chicken around the pan in a circular motion so that the skin and surface of the pan are evenly coated in oil.
- Place the pan on the stove and turn the heat on a medium setting. Fry for 7 minutes, rotating the chicken from time to time to ensure that the skin is evenly browned.
- While the chicken is cooking, take a small bowl and add the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, dashi stock and honey. Mix until the sugar and honey are dissolved.
- After 7 minutes have passed, flip the chicken thigh over and fry for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Use a paper towel to wipe up excess oil in the pan.
- Once 2 minutes have passed turn up the heat to medium high and pour the sauce into the pan.
- Scoop up the sauce with a spoon and pour it over the surface of the chicken. Keep spooning the sauce over the chicken until it becomes thick and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and rest for a few minutes before cutting it into strips.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Meat
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: teriyaki,teriyaki chicken recipe,how to make japanese teriyaki chicken,quick Teriyaki chicken recipe,how to make teriyaki chicken from scratch,what is teriyaki made of,easy teriyaki recipe, teriyaki sauce, japanese teriyaki, teriyaki chicken, chicken teriyaki recipe,Japanese teriyaki chicken