How to make a delicious and addictive Japanese spinach salad mixed with ground sesame seeds and condiments. (Serves 3-4)
- Start by filling a pot with enough water to cover the spinach and add 1 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, cut off the ends of the stems of the spinach and wash thoroughly in a cold bowl of water to remove the dirt.
- Remove the spinach from the water and cut it into three parts, the thick stems, the middle part (thinner stems with some leaf) and the leaves. Preferably tie each type in bunches. (Optional)
- Prepare a bowl of cold water and set it next to the stove.
- Once the water in the pot is boiling, add the thick stems and allow them to boil for 1 minute.
- Next, add the middle part and boil together with the stems for 45 seconds.
- Finally add the leaves and boil everything together for 30 seconds.
- Remove the spinach from the water and transfer straight to the bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Take a mixing bowl (big enough to add the spinach) and add all of the sesame sauce ingredients. (If you don't have dashi you can use an equal amount of water instead.) Mix well.
- Remove the spinach from the bowl and gently squeeze out the excess water.
- Add the spinach to the bowl of sauce and mix thoroughly until evenly coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container and eat within 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Blanching
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese sesame spinach salad, Japanese spinach sesame salad, Japanese spinach salad with sesame dressing, how to make Japanese sesame spinach salad, Japanese sesame spinach salad recipe, gomaae, gomaae recipe, how to make spinach gomaae, how to make gomaae, spinach gomaae, horenso gomaae, horenso gomaae recipe,