How to make Japanese Ebi Chili (エビチリ) a quick and delicious Chinese inspired dish made with juicy shrimp served in a spicy and fragrant chili sauce. (Serves 1-2)
- 230g (8oz) shrimp peeled and deveined (see in post for instructions)
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger (1 tbsp/10g) finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 30g (1oz) spring onion white part finely diced
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp doubanjian (use double for a spicier ebi chili)
- 150ml water
- 1 tsp Chinese chicken stock powder
- Slurry (1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp cold water)
- 1 pinch of salt, pepper and sugar
- Spring onion (green part)
- Sesame seeds
- Chili threads
(If you're using precooked shrimp, skip to "sauce")
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and rub cornstarch and a few pinches of salt over the surface. Once evenly covered, leave for 1-2 minutes.
- Wash thoroughly with cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat a large pan on medium, once hot, add a drizzle of oil and the shrimps. Fry until the shrimps turn pink.
- Once cooked, transfer the shrimps to a container lined with kitchen paper.
- Lower the heat and in the same pan, add the finely diced ginger, garlic and spring onion. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Next, add the ketchup and doubanjian. Mix and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the water and Chinese chicken stock powder, turn up the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Mix occasionally.
- Once boiling, lower the heat down to a simmer and add the shrimps back in.
- In a small bowl, mix corn starch with cold water to make a slurry. Add it to the pan along with a pinch of salt, pepper and sugar.
- Mix and continue to simmer until the sauce becomes thick and glossy.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with chopped spring onion (green part), sesame seeds and chili threads.
If using precooked shrimps, heat a pan on low, add oil and skip to step 5.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Fusion
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: ebi chili, Ebi chili recipe, How to make ebi chili, Japanese shrimp recipe, Japanese shrimp sauce, fried shrimp recipe, shrimp stir fry, Stir fried shrimp,spicy sauce, doubanjian, tobanjan, spicy shrimp recipes,spicy ebi, spicy shrimp, Sichuan shrimp, Szechuan shrimp,chili prawns, chilli prawns, chilli shrimp, spicy shrimp stir fry, sweet chili shrimp, ebi chiri,