How to make delicious ramen restaurant style chahan (Japanese fried rice) with chashu, egg, spring onion and kamaboko. A perfect way to use leftovers to whip up a delicious one pan meal!
- 80g Pork Chashu
- 3 Slices kamaboko fish cake (optional)
- 30g Spring Onion
- 1/2 tbsp Lard
- 2 eggs
- 200g Cooked rice
- 1/4 tsp fine white pepper
- 2g salt (1% of the rice quantity, approx 1/4 tsp per 200g)
- 1/2 tsp Chinese chicken stock powder
- 2 tbsp Charshu marinade (See note)
- Pickled ginger (benishoga) to garnish
- Cut the chashu and kamaboko into small rough cubes.
- Finely chop the spring onion.
- Heat a wok on a high heat and add 1/2 tbsp lard.
- Crack two eggs into the wok and break it up while frying until it reaches a runny scrambled egg consistency.
- Add the cooked rice, break it up and mix well.
- Once the eggs are cooked, add the chashu, kamaboko and spring onion.
- Stir fry until the rice is separated and the other ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add 2 tbsp of the chashu marinade (if you didn't make chashu, see note for alternative) and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chicken stock.
- Stir fry for 1-2 minutes and occasionally toss the rice in the wok. (See video)
- Pack rice into a ladle or small bowl and flip it onto a plate.
- Garnish with benishoga (Japanese pickled ginger) and serve.
If you don't have chashu marinade, make a small mixture of 1 tbsp tsuyu sauce, 1 tsp sake, 1 tsp mirin, 1 tsp water, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1/2 grated garlic, and a pinch of sugar. It won't be exactly the same as using chashu marinade, but it's close enough.
It's better to use day old cooked rice for this dish. (Kept in the refrigerator overnight)
If you use freshly cooked rice, let it cool before frying and to avoid rice clumping together. (Spread it out on a cookie sheet so it cools quickly and dries out a little.)
This recipe is made using leftover chashu from my pork chashu recipe. If you want to make ramen style fried rice without making chashu, you can substitute for any other kind of leftover cooked meats.
If you want to use raw meat in this recipe, it's better to cook it before you make the fried rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese / Chinese
Keywords: Japanese chahan, chahan recipe, how to make chahan, ramen restaurant style chahan, ramen chahan, chahan recipe, yakimeshi, Japanese fried rice, how to make yakimeshi, yakimechi recipe, how to make Japanese style fried rice, how to make Japanese fried rice, fried rice with chashu, egg fried rice, Japanese egg fried rice, pork fried rice,