How to make Izakaya Style "Addictive" Salted Cabbage (small batch serves 2).
- 100g Cabbage (approx 1 ¼ US cups)
- 1-2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- ½ tsp Chicken Bouillon Powder (I use Yuki Garasupu)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Garlic paste
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- Chili threads (optional)
- Wash the cabbage, roughly cut it into bite-size pieces and place it in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, mix 1-2 tbsp of sesame oil, 1 tbsp sesame seeds, ½ tbsp of chicken stock powder, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp garlic paste and ¼ tsp black pepper. Once combined, pour the mixture into the bowl of cabbage.
- Use your hands to rub the seasoning over the leaves, making sure to evenly distribute it. (You don't want to end up with one very salty bite!) Make sure to use gloves if you have sensitive skin or any cuts on your hands.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy as a side or snack!
This is a small batch recipe for 2 people. Feel free to double or triple!
If the recipe is too salty or not salty enough, you can adjust the salt/chicken bouillon to suit your own tastes.
Seasoning can be made in advance and then applied to the cabbage just before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Sides
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese salted cabbage salad recipe,Izakaya style cabbage salad,Japanese cabbage with salt and sesame oil,pickled green cabbage,japanese pickled vegetables recipe,Japanese pickled cabbage, izakaya cabbage recipe, cabbage recipe, yamitsuki cabbage, salted cabbage, Japanese cabbage recipe, Japanese salted cabbage, cabbage side dish,