How to make Japanese Ebi Mayo. (エビマヨ) Juicy fresh prawns fried in a light yet crispy batter then coated in a sweet and creamy mayonnaise based sauce. (serves 2)
- 70g (1/2 US cup) weak flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour (or corn starch)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 100ml lager (or soda water) chilled
- 4 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 250g king prawns or tiger prawns
- 1 tsp corn starch + 2 pinches salt (for cleaning)
- 3 tbsp corn starch (or potato starch)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Oil for deep frying
- 100g shredded cabbage (optional)
- Dried parsley to garnish
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients for the batter (70g flour, 1 tbsp rice flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt and pepper.) Mix well and place them in the freezer until just before using. (Don't add the beer yet.)
- Next, take a large bowl (or small bowl if you prefer dipping) and add all of the sauce ingredients. (4 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp condensed milk, 1 tsp ketchup, 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1/2 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp paprika) and mix well. Set aside for later.
- Next, deshell, devein your prawns. (Information on how to do this is in the post above.) Rub with 1 tsp corn starch and 2 pinches of salt, rinse with cold water and dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat your oil to 190°C (375°F).
- Drop two garlic cloves into your warming oil to add flavour. You can use it as an indicator to know when your oil is hot too. (It will start to sizzle)
- Add 3 tbsp of corn starch to the prawns and coat them. This will help the batter stick.
- Take your dry batter from the freezer and add 100ml of chilled beer. Mix well.
- Coat each prawn in the batter and drop it into the oil in batches, be careful not to overcrowd the pot.
- Fry for approximately 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. (Remove the garlic when it turns dark brown and discard.)
- As each batch is complete, transfer the prawns to a wire rack to let any excess oil drain off.
- Once the prawns are all cooked, coat in the mayonnaise sauce and dish up.
- Sprinkle with dry parsley and serve with shredded cabbage.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese / Chinese
Keywords: ebi mayo, ebi mayo recipe, how to make ebi mayo, japanese ebi mayo, ebi mayonnaise, Japanese mayonnaise, fried shrimp recipe, fried prawns, fried shrimp, ebi mayo sauce, ebi mayo shrimp, shrimp tempura, how to make tempura batter, tempura batter, beer batter, how to make beer batter, what beer to use for beer batter, how to prep shrimp, prepping shrimp, cleaning shrimp