How to make quick and easy Japanese Omelette Rice Omurice (オムライス)
- ½ White onion
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Butter
- 150g Chicken breast
- 40g Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp White wine
- 200g Cooked rice (see note)
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Green peas
- 5 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Dash of Olive oil
- First, heat your pan on medium with 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp butter.
- Dice ½ white onion and add it to the pan. Sauté until softened.
- Slice 40g mushroom and cut 150g chicken breast into small pieces.
- Once the onions are softened, add your mushrooms and chicken to the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp white wine to the pan and fry everything until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the 200g of cooked rice with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add 3 tbsp ketchup and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp of green peas with a pinch of parsley. Mix in and fry for one minute.
- Turn off the heat.
- Heat a separate non-stick pan on medium, this will be for the omelette.
- In a large bowl, crack 5 eggs and add 2 tbsp milk and 1 tsp olive oil.
- Whisk for 1 minute or until the eggs are a bit fluffy.
- Add a little bit of oil to the pan and then wipe the excess away with a paper towel. This will stop too many browned spots appearing on your omelette.
- Pour half of your mixture into the pan and using chopsticks (or a fork), whisk the omelette a little while it's cooking. This will make it nice and fluffy. Work quickly, it cooks fast!
- When it's half cooked, add half of the rice to the centre of the omelette.
- Fold one side over the top of the rice using a spatula and then on that same side, fold it again so that the rice is wrapped in the omelette.
- Slide it onto a plate.
- Repeat steps 4-8 for the next dish.
- Place a paper towel over the omelette to absorb any excess oil, you can also adjust the shape into the classic rugby ball omurice shape at this point too.
- Garnish with ketchup and parsley for decoration.
- Serve and enjoy!
We recommend using day old rice from the fridge (or defrosted from the freezer) for the best results on the fried rice filling.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Rice
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese omurice recipe, Japanese omelette rice, omuraisu recipe, omurice recipe, how to make omurice, how to make omurice egg, what is omurice, japanese omelette, how to cook omurice, omelette rice recipe,