How to make delicious "Karaage don" Japanese Fried Chicken Rice Bowl.
- 2 Bowls of cooked rice (See here if you want to know how to make Japanese style rice on the stove.)
- 1 cup (70g) White cabbage shredded
- 2 tbsp Spring onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- 2 tsp Red pickled ginger optional garnish
- Chili threads optional decoration
- 300g (0.6lbs) Chicken thigh – preferably with skin
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sake
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 5 tbsp Potato starch (or corn starch)
- Oil for frying shallow frying
- Cut the chicken thigh into bite size pieces.
- In a zip lock bag or tupperware, add the 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sake, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic paste and 1 tsp ginger paste together with the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 mins in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle about 5 tbsp potato starch onto a plate and take the marinated chicken out of the fridge.
- Coat each piece of chicken with the potato starch. (Try to make sure there isn’t too much excess liquid on the chicken. The flavour is already absorbed so you don’t need marinade sitting on top, it can make the starch soggy.)
- Heat the cooking oil to 160°C (320°F) and deep fry the chicken pieces for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Turn up the heat to 190°C (375°F) and fry for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and lay out on a wire rack or absorbent kitchen towels to let any excess oil drip off.
- Dish up the cooked rice into 2 bowls.
- Place ½ cup (about 35g) of shredded cabbage on top of the rice in each bowl.
- Divide the karaage pieces between the 2 bowls.
- Drizzle with mayonnaise and add 1 tbsp of chopped green onion to each bowl.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge (and red pickled ginger or chili threads for color).
Enjoy by itself or with a bowl of miso soup on the side.
If you want to add extra ingredients, you can add salad vegetables or a soft boiled egg.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Meat
- Method: Shallow Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Karaage Recipe,How to make Japanese Fried Chicken,chicken karaage,Japanese fried chicken,Japanese karaage recipe,karaage pronounciation,crispy karaage,best karaage,chicken karaage recipes,Karaage don, karaagedon, karaage donburi, fried chicken donburi, karaage rice bowl, fried chicken rice bowl, Japanese chicken rice bowl, donburi recipe,Japanese crispy fried chicken,fried chicken,Chicken Karaage recipe,Japanese popcorn chicken