How to make delicious Japanese creamy crab croquette (kani kurimi korokke / カニクリームコロッケ) Makes 8 / Serves 2-3
- 30g butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- 110g crab meat (I use canned)
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml whole milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tbsp meltable grated cheese (cheddar or similar)
- 50ml cold water
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp + 3 tbsp plain flour
- Approx 75g panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
- Take a medium saucepan/frying pan and melt 30g butter on a medium-low heat.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent (don't let it brown).
- Once the onion is soft, add 110g crab meat and 1 tsp ketchup.
- Mix well and then sift in 4 tbsp plain flour.
- Mix thoroughly and then add one third of the milk (approx 65ml). Whisk until smooth.
- Continue to add the milk one third at a time while whisking continuously.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, a pinch of black pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and 2 tbsp of grated meltable cheese.
- Switch to a spatula and keep mixing until the filling is thickened to the consistency of mashed potato.
- Transfer to a wide container and allow to cool.
- Once cool to the touch, place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm and easy to shape.
Shaping and frying
- Preheat your oil to 170-180°C / 340-355°F.
- Take a bowl and add 50ml cold water, 1 egg and 5 tbsp plain flour. Whisk together until smooth. This is your batter.
- Prepare two plates, one with 3 tbsp of flour and one with 75g panko breadcrumbs.
- Remove the crab filling from the freezer and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a barrel shape.
- Coat the shaped korokke in plain flour, then egg batter, then a generous coating of panko breadcrumbs.
- Place the korokke straight into the hot oil, repeat until you have 2-4 in the oil. (Place the other shaped korokke in the freezer while you wait for them to cook.)
- Fry the korokke until crispy and golden.
- Remove them from the oil, place them on a wire rack and then repeat steps 5- 8.
- While the final batch are cooking, mix 2 tbsp ketchup and 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce to make your sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can shape and batter kani cream croquette in advance, keep them in the freezer and then fry just before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Chilling time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Deep frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: crab cream croquette, kani kurimu korokke, kani cream croquette, kani cream korokke, how to make crab cream croquette, crab cream croquette recipe, creamy crab croquette, Japanese korokke, Japanese crab croquette, crab korokke, cream korokke, cream croquette, Japanese croquette, Japanese croquette recipe, Japanese korokke recipe