How to make sweet and creamy Japanese Corn Potage with crunchy, herby homemade croutons.
- 2 ears of corn (or 400g canned/frozen corn)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion thinly sliced
- 300ml whole milk
- 4 pinches salt
- 4 pinches white pepper
- 150g baguette cut into small cubes
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Wash the corn and slice off the kernels in rows. Cut the cores into thirds or quarters and set aside.
- Take a pot and heat it on medium. Melt the butter and add the sliced onion. Fry until soft and golden, then turn down the heat to low/medium-low.
- Add the milk to the pot and add the cores of cob along with half of the salt and pepper.
- Heat until it reaches a low simmer (small bubbles around the edge). Do not allow the milk to boil.
- Turn off the heat, remove the cores from the corn and discard.
- Add the kernels with the other half of the salt and pepper, then turn the heat back on to low.
- Heat to a low simmer once more. When small bubbles start to appear around the edge, remove the pot from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blitz until smooth. (Alternatively, use an immersion blender.)
- Pour the corn potage through a mesh sieve to make it extra smooth.
- Reheat before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Mix olive oil, melted butter, dry mixed herbs and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add the cubed baguette and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread the baguette over a baking tray. Make sure it's one layer and no cubes are overlapping.
- Bake for 10 mins on the bottom shelf.
- Sprinkle over your corn potage and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cooling time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: corn potage, how to make corn potage, corn potage recipe, corn potage Japanese, corn potage umaibo, Japanese corn potage recipe, how to make Japanese corn soup, Japanese cream corn soup, corn soup vending machine Japan, corn soup recipe,