How to make delicious homemade Chicken Tsukune (Japanese meatballs) coated in a sweet and sticky soy sauce based glaze. (Makes 5 skewers)
- 1/4 onion grated
- 250g chicken mince
- 5 ooba leaves (shiso/perilla) thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tsp grated ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1/2 tsp miso paste (I used awase miso)
- 1 tsp Chinese chicken stock powder
- 2 tbsp potato starch (katakuriko)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (plus extra oiling hands)
- 5 bamboo skewers (optional)
- Pasteurised egg yolk for dipping (optional)
- Add the onion, chicken mince, ooba leaves, mayo, ginger, miso paste, chicken stock powder, potato starch and black pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with a silicone spatula until the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout and the mixture has combined and reached a sticky consistency.
- Divide into 5 equal pieces (for balls, divide into 12-15 pieces to make 4-5 skewers with 3 meatballs on each). Grease your hands with oil and shape into oblongs or balls. (If you don't want to get your hands dirty, transfer each piece to a piece of baking parchment and shape using a spoon.)
- Heat pan on medium and drizzle 1 tsp of oil. Once hot, add the tsukune to the pan and fry until crispy underneath.
- Flip and repeat on the other side.
- While the tsukune are frying, mix the soy sauce, mirin, red wine and sugar in small bowl.
- Once both sides are crispy and the meat is cooked through, add the sauce to the pan and turn off the heat, the sauce will thicken in the residual heat. Move the tsukune around the pan and make sure they're evenly coated all over.
- Push onto skewers, sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onion. Optional: serve with egg yolk for dipping.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: tsukune, how to make tsukune, tsukune recipe, chicken tsukune, how to make chicken tsukune, chicken tsukune recipe, tsukune yakitori, tsukune yakitori recipe, best tsukune recipe, tsukune recipe Japanese, Japanese chicken meatballs, tsukune sauce, tsukune glaze