How to make Chicken Soboro Onigiri (Japanese Ground Chicken Rice Ball). Recipe doesn't include how to cook rice. (See this post to learn how to make Japanese style rice without a rice cooker) Makes 5-6 rice balls.
- 660g Japanese short grain white rice cooked/hot (300g before cooking - check out my post on how to cook Japanese style rice here)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 100g ground chicken mince
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sake
- 6 strips of nori dried seaweed
- Heat up a frying pan on a medium high heat.
- Once it's hot, add 1 tsp vegetable oil and 100g of ground chicken.
- Fry the chicken until browned.
- Add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp mirin, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp sake to the pan and fry everything together until the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the chicken to a large bowl.
- Add the cooked rice to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Divide the rice into 5-6 even portions.
- Wet your hands with cold water and rub a pinch of salt over your palms.
- Take a portion of rice/chicken and start to press it together, pressing the edges to form a triangle shape. See this post for more information on how to shape the perfect rice ball.
- Once your onigiri are shaped, wrap with nori.
- Eat straight away or put in your lunch box with an ice pack. See note for storage options.
If you have leftovers, wrap each individual onigiri in plastic wrap without nori and place them in an airtight container in the freezer. (This prevents freezer burn.) Best eaten within 1 month. Microwave to defrost.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: chicken onigiri, chicken rice ball, how to make chicken onigiri, how to make chicken rice ball, chicken onigiri recipe, chicken rice ball recipe, soboro chicken, ground chicken ongiri, Japanese chicken onigiri, Japanese ground chicken recipe, onigiri chicken, onigiri fillings chicken, chicken filled onigiri,