How to make rich and tasty Japanese Hayashi Rice. Tender beef simmered in a tangy sauce with bell peppers, button mushrooms and soft onions served next to a bed of tasty garlic butter rice. (serves two)
- 200g Beef thigh or belly thinly sliced - see note
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp Plain flour
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- ½ an Onion sliced
- 1 Bell pepper (I used ½ yellow and ½ red) roughly chopped
- 6 Baby chestnut mushrooms (80g) sliced
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Red wine
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml Beef stock (or maggi buillon)
- 300g (2 1/2 cups) Rice cooked
- 1 tsp Unsalted butter
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Sprinkle your thinly sliced beef with a pinch of salt and pepper, and 2 tsp of flour. Mix well until all the beef is coated.
- Heat up a large pan and add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 clove of crushed garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the beef to the pan.
- Fry the beef until lightly browned and add the onions to the pan.
- Continue to fry the onions until softened, then add the bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Reduce the heat to a low setting.
- Sprinkle one tbsp of plain flour to the pan and mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp ketchup and mix.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add 60ml red wine and 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well and add 300ml of beef stock.
- Cook on medium high until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Once thickened to the desired consistency, turn down to the lowest heat to keep it warm while frying the rice.
Butter Garlic Rice
- Heat a separate pan on a medium heat and add 1 tsp butter and 1 clove of crushed garlic.
- Once fragrant, add the cooked rice and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with dry parsley and mix until it's distributed throughout the rice.
- Divide the rice onto two serving plates and pour the beef hayashi next to it.
If you're cutting the beef into thin slices yourself, freeze for approx 30 minutes it firm it up and slice as thin as you can.
This recipe works well with leftover plain rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Meat
- Method: Fry / Simmer
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Hayashi rice recipe, how to make hayashi rice, hashed beef, hayashi beef, hayashi rice sauce, quick hayashi rice, hayashi rice no roux, hayashi rice cubes,omuhayashi, easy hayashi rice, hayashi rice from scratch,