How to make simple, quick and homely Japanese Nikujaga
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 150g Thinly sliced beef or pork
- 3 Potatoes
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 White onion
- 15g Green beans
- 150ml Water
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Sake
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- First, cut the beef or pork into bite size pieces.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots, and then roughly cut into chunky pieces.
- Finely slice the white onion.
- Heat up a frying pan on a medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Fry the meat first until lightly browned on both sides.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to the pan. Continue to fry for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add 150ml of water, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp sake, 2 tbsp mirin, 3 tbsp of soy sauce to the pan and stir everything together.
- Bring it to the boil and then turn down the heat to low. Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the green beans (chopped or not chopped depending on your preference) and turn up the heat to medium-low, cook for another 5 minutes, again with the lid on.
- Serve up with a bowl of rice and enjoy!
You can use any green beans you like.
Japanese people sometimes add konjak or renkon (lotus root) but these ingredients can be difficult to find in other countries so we left them out.
- Category: Meat
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese Nikujaga recipe,Japanese beef stew recipe,easy nikujaga,How to make nikujaga,what is nikujaga,nikujaga ingredients,quick nikujaga,Japanese beef recipe,Japanese meat and vegetables,