Potato Salad Is Worldwide
Quick and Cheap
I believe potato salad is a worldwide dish that a lot of countries have their own styles (I personally like the German one) and Japan is not an exception.
Each one has slightly different ingredients and cooking processes which I think interesting.
Potato salad in Japan
Let’s be honest.
I have never liked Japanese potato salad especially as a kid (Mainly because I didn’t really like uncooked onion though)
Japanese potato salad usually contains:
- Mashed potatoes
- Sweet corn
And it’s served cold.
Izakaya style potato salad?
So Izakaya is a place that serves food and alcoholic drinks, a bit like bars and pubs but not really.
Munching and drinking are equally important there and dishes are usually served as tapas (small dish) style.
And some places serve potato salad.
What I want to say is, that “Izakaya-style” is a potato salad changed for adult tastes (sorry kids) and my taste (no uncooked onion lol).
It’s easy and quick so it will be good as snacky salad with your beer as well as a suitable side for many dishes!Print
How to make Izakaya Style Japanese Potato Salad
- 3 Medium sized potatoes
- 1/3 Medium sized cucumber
- 1/3 Medium sized carrot
- 40g Bacon (smoked or unsmoked depending on your preference but usually unsmoked in Japan)
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise (Preferably Kewpie)
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sesame oil
- First peel the potatoes and carrot.
- Cut the potatoes into medium size chunks and boil on the stove on a medium-high heat.
- While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the other ingredients. Cut the carrot into 5mm slices and then cut each circle slice into quarters.
- Cut the cucumber into 1-2mm slices. Once it’s sliced, put it in a bowl and soak it in slightly salted water. Set aside.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to a frying pan on a medium high heat. Cook until it’s a little crispy. When it’s done, set aside.
- When you can pierce the potatoes but they still feel a little hard, add the chopped carrots to the same pot.
- When the potatoes are soft enough to mash, remove them from the heat and drain. The carrots should be slightly softened but not mushy.
- Set the carrots aside, and mash the potatoes in a separate bowl.
- Once the potatoes are mashed, add the bacon and carrot, then mix well.
- Drain the salted water of the cucumber and add the cucumber to the mashed potato, mix again.
- Add 4 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 pinch sugar and 1/2 tsp sesame oil and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can always add extra ingredients that were mentioned earlier such as onions or sweetcorn.
To make it extra delicious, you can add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top!
- Category: Side dish
- Method: boil
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: How to make Japanese potato salad,Japanese style potato salad recipe,Japanese mayonnaise potato salad,Potato salad with cucumber,Japanese salad,tasty potato salad recipe,Japanese potato recipe